Tuesday, June 19, 2018

'On the road again, I can't wait to be on the road again....'

Camped at the Eugene Maloney State Park in Nebraska
Four days (and three nights) at a lovely state park in Nebraska has refreshed us enough to hit the road again. Killer temperatures continued to immobilize most everyone who left their air conditioning even for a minute until the weather finally broke last night.

Not many bugs, thank goodness, but the firefly show at night was better than most Fourth of July fireworks. Spellbinding.

Not many people were outside in the evenings, or sitting around the campfires in the state park. Too damn hot.

But then, a fantastic thunderstorm. Lots of rain. And cooler temperatures.

We made a major home improvement this week. Our beds now have memory foam toppers after two weeks of my being determined to accommodate to a harder surface. I kept thinking about what people around the world must be sleeping on, and surely I could leave my amazing king platform bed at home and adjust?

I tried.  I really tried. But it will take a longer adjustment than two weeks (and a chiropractor and deep tissue massage) to make it pain free.

Last night I slept the best I've slept since leaving our condo. Great bed. Cool temperatures. Better attitude.

We drove through a pretty solid rainstorm this morning to stay at a park in Des Moines to visit with friends from Mexico, who now live in the New Mexico mountains. I love when our paths intersect with friends from other places. Dave and Pam Tomlin are on the road with their original Airstream and we'll catch up this evening before all departing in different directions.

One of the biggest challenges for us this trip is the lack of good internet and wifi connections. But a benefit is the lack of news.

Trump Country
I've been reminded by signs and overheard conversations that I'm in 'Trump Country'. I find myself wanting to have a really decent conversation with someone who has a strong religious and/or military background about the current immigration policy that separates children from parents. I want to understand. I can't wrap my mind around it and mostly, I'm heartbroken for the children and for our country, a country that appears to have lost its national compassion.

But conversations like this don't seem possible, yet. I've started conversations with strangers my whole life, but this one seems hugely unapproachable. I sat on the couch using wifi in the lodge at the state park yesterday while the national news covered the immigration issue.  I wondered what the other people watching were thinking at that same moment. We didn't talk.

I'm not lonely this trip and I'm seeing America up close and personal. But that lack of conversation, for someone like me, someone who 'knows no strangers', gives me the greatest pause about our current political divide and the health of our country.

I have no answers, no strategy. Just an observation.

Tomorrow, we'll continue trekking east. The weather is rainy and cool and conducive to making miles. And we'll continue to look for good wifi connections along the way.

Whole Foods AND fast wifi so Michael can write his column.


The North Platte River from the Eugene Mahoney State Park

A shady campsite in Nebraska. Lots of fireflies!

A drive-thru Dunkin Donuts, cars wrapped around the back

Horseback riding, swimming, theatre. Lots of to do here.

Shade has been the most important commodity for this heat wave.

1 comment:

  1. I see that a large outdoor carpet can double your living space!
    Great idea.
    I think silence in Trump country is best. Folks who have believed that he could make them more wealth are now seeing the cost. They are generally on the defensive while they reckon with their soul. As a country we need to find an intelligent leader with only love for mankind to guide us into the future.

    ReplyDelete