Thursday, June 7, 2018

First night out. I've heard it gets easier.

My friend Sallie Dewitt says the only way to enjoy camping is to make it to the second night.

The first day is trying to figure out where you put something, or where to put something, or make a system work, establish a new routine.

She's dead on right.

All ready for the next adventure
One observation is that although we're not in a hurry, we're so used to being in a hurry that it's hard to slow it down. We eased out of our comfortable Sacramento visit  rather than race out. First, Trader Joe's to provision. Next, the dermatologist's office for some serious moisturizers.  My aging skin is used to overcast (fog) and moist sea air. Sacramento, then Nevada is already sucking moisture out of my body. The Utah desert should really be crazy.

We took a slow trip up I-80, eventually ending up at the Fallon RV Park in Nevada. It's a decent enough place for an overnight. Nice pull-through spaces so we didn't have to unhook. Good bathrooms, and even a small general store. I only saw the laundry facilities this morning, making a note to check the amenities when we arrive instead of when we're leaving.

My vision of trailer camping, of course,  is sitting outside in my beach chair, cold drink in hand, surrounded by greenery and shade, perhaps close to water. An interesting conversation with a camping neighbor.  A book to read.

But last night as we fell into bed –– still laughing! That's a good sign! –– after an afternoon of high winds, lots of dust, lots of cottonwood floaties that confined us to our very small, teeny, tiny trailer, I recalled my visions decades ago of what it would be like to go cruising our 48' sailboat. All passages would be 85 degrees. All downwind.

All fantasy.

Cute as a bug but where's my king size bed?
The reality, last night, is there were enough little bugs around the night light that there was no reading in bed. And I really missed sleeping in my king-sized memory foam platform bed. The gusts blew hard enough that we had to close the top vent and the windows. We could hear truck and car traffic all night because we were parked close to the highway.

But as Sallie says, it was only 'first night' issues. A high point –– hooking up the cable in time to watch the Warriors win made life feel a little more normal.

This morning our trailer home is all put away and tidy, I'm wearing clean clothes, we're sitting in a nice Starbucks to use the internet before we toddle slowly down Highway 50, the Loneliest Highway in America. We'll figure out where we're staying when we see how long we want to drive.

Our humor is still good, thank God. I guess last night might have been even a bit much for him. I told Michael I was leaving him –– to go take a shower.

'Don't leave me," he said. "Who else could I find that would be crazy enough to do this with me?"

True. Love that he appreciates that I'm crazy enough go off on another adventure with him.  But no worries. I'm not slipping on to the next bus out of Fallon to head home. Yet.

Onward to the next adventure!


Napping before the afternoon winds arrived



No comments:

Post a Comment